Public Service Vehicles (PSV) must undergo a more rigorous annual test than the usual MOT before being used on public roads as taxis. Applications for PSV tests should be made at least six weeks before a taxi licence is required. SN Motor Services Limited provide this service.
Vehicles presented for a PSV taxi inspection will be given a road worthiness (MOT type) inspection. In addition, the vehicle must have the following:
- a maximum of eight passenger seats
- a suitable fire extinguisher mounted and readily available for use
- a suitable spare wheel and the tools to fit it – a post puncture repair kit is acceptable where the original vehicle has not been supplied with the facility to carry a spare wheel
- a roof sign with a minimum width of 750mm and a maximum height of 250mm above the roof
- a permanent top and two doors located on each side
- a minimum vehicle length of 3.96m, maximum width of 2.55m, and a step height no more than 435mm
- valid PSV insurance
The inspection will also look at axle weight, the tyre load capacity, and the seating plan format. This is not an exhaustive list of requirements, for more information you can contact any Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) test centre.